Tuesday, October 12, 2010

day 1: life after diet

so my 90 days was up yesterday and i haven't weighed myself just yet but last time i checked i had lost 16lbs. i'm guessing i rounded the 90 days out at around 17-18 lbs lost.

so now what? well for starters 6 weeks ago i would have sworn up and down that at the end of the 90 days i would run out and gobble a pizza, 10 donuts and a 2 liter of coke. but now that my official 90 days is over i don't feel that way at all. in fact the insatiable cravings for cake and things like that had vanished i generally eat when i'm hungry (only) and am relatively satisfied the rest of the day. on the off chance i have a super sweet tooth after dinner a scoop or two of coconut water ice cream (agave sweetened) makes the craving go away. i eat less and generally don't feel that crazy full feeling which later turns into full on lethargy.

so what have a i learned: i don't think i'm totally okay, i think that will take years of this and learning to balance. with my minor cheats under my belt i can see that one slip up does not undo all your hard work but also once in a while treats have to stay as such in order to keep succeeding.

i thought about going another 90 days and i thought about ending the diet here and then it dawned on me that it's not really a  diet anymore. it's just the way i eat. that seems oddly satisfying, i think i needed the rigidity of the diet concept to keep me in line and i needed a goal date to make myself stay true to the course.

but i know what bad food does to me, clearly i am more affected by things like flour, sugar, yeast and vinegar  than other people and it's okay for me to stay away from them most of the time. i have lived through these 90 days more than comfortably and i feel much healthier and in tune with my body than i thought i would at the beginning of this journey. i know i will find new temptations and i'm sure i will have my slip ups but i have been inspired both my my feeling of well being and by the changes i have seen in people around me.

i never thought i would find my husband loading up with morning coffee with agave nectar and i never thought i could inspire my dad to lay off bread and beer in order to feel better. will power is an incredible thing when you really want something.

i won't bore you with my revelations. i am happy and excited to take on the non-diet diet of the rest of my life and i hope you'll stick around for the ups and downs.

hugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment